Summer is slow to arrive here in northern Alberta, however sailing season is well underway on the West Coast!
The Oregon Offshore International Yacht Race begins May 11, 2017. The race starts off the mouth of the Columbia River, Oregon, heads north along the coast, east along the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and finishes at Victoria, B.C., a distance of approximately 193 NM.
The Swiftsure International Yacht race starts 0900 Saturday, May 27 in Victoria, B.C. It consists of Four Long Courses and an Inshore Classic.
- The Swiftsure Lightship Classic Race for Monohulls. From a starting line at Clover Point, to Swiftsure Bank in the Pacific Ocean, and back to a finish line across the Victoria Harbour – 138.2 NM.
- The Hein Bank Race for Monohulls. From a starting line at Clover Point, to Neah Bay (near the Strait of Juan de Fuca western entrance), to a weather buoy near Hein Bank, and back to Victoria Harbour – 118.1 NM.
- The Cape Flattery Race for Monohulls and Multihulls. From a starting line at Clover Point, to Neah Bay, and back to Victoria Harbour – 101.9 NM.
- The Juan de Fuca Race for Monohulls. From a starting line at Clover Point, to Clallam Bay on the US side of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and back to Victoria Harbour – 78.7 NM.
- The Swiftsure Inshore Classic. The course will be determined for each Race after consideration of the weather prediction and tidal currents. From a starting line at Clover Point in the vicinity of Juan de Fuca Strait, the Victoria waterfront and Haro Strait.
Van Isle 360 International Yacht Race, a biennial, 580 nautical mile point-to-point race circumnavigating Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. The Van Isle 360 starts June 10, 2017.
Race Rocks Ecological Reserve has a couple of video web cams. We might be able to watch some of the action!